Dr. Shivaun Archer is a Senior Lecturer in charge of the Biomedical Engineering Undergraduate Instructional Laboratories. She designs and teaches undergraduate instructional labs for five biomedical engineering courses: BME 1310, BME 3010, BME 3020, BME 4010, and BME 4020. The labs are designed to illustrate the course material and bring research to undergraduate education whilst exposing students to cutting edge technology and research methodology. A significant emphasis in all the labs is biomedical nanotechnology. Each of the five courses has a hands-on lab module that focuses specifically on nanobiotechnology. Overall, the lab modules enhance the hands-on training of Cornell students in the areas of microfabrication, microfluidics, biosensors, nano/microbiotechnology, and drug delivery. In recognition of her efforts in undergraduate education, Dr. Archer has received two prestigious College of Engineering Teaching awards.
Before coming to Cornell, Dr. Archer worked for five years at Lynntech, Inc. a small research company specializing in biotechnology, biomaterials, chemical and biological sensors, medical biotechnology, and environmental remediation. Her work on wastewater treatment for long term space missions resulted in her receiving two NASA Inventions Space Act Awards. She also holds a joint appointment as a Research Associate in the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Her research interests include nanobiotechnology and tissue engineering.
- Archer, Shivaun , A. Jackman, K A McDonald. 1997. "Effect of Light on the Production of Sulfolipids in Anabaena 7120 in a Fed-Batch Reactor." Applied microbiology 67 (1-2): 139-152.
- Buskohl, P. R., R. A. Gould, S. Currann, Shivaun Archer, J. T. Butcher. 2012. "Multidisplinary Inquiry -based learning using an Ex-Ovo Chicken Culture Platform: Role of Vitamin A on Embryonic Morphogenesis." The American Biology Teacher 74 (9): 636.
- Bowles, R., J. Saroka, Shivaun Archer, L Bonassar. 2012. "Novel Model-Based Inquiry of Ionic Bonding in Alginate Hydrogels Used in Tissue Engineering for High School Students." The Journal of Chemical Education 89 (10): 1308-1311.
- Mahler, G J., M B. Esch, E. Tako, T L. Southard, Shivaun Archer, R P. Glaha, Michael Louis Shuler. 2012. "Oral exposure to nanoparticles effect essential nutrient absorption." Nature Nanotechnology 7: 264-271.
- Archer, Shivaun. 2011. "Microfluidics and Microfabrication in a Chemical Engineering Lab." Chemical Engineering Education 45 (4): 285-289.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Zellman Warhaff Commitment to Diversity Award (Cornell University College of Engineering) 2009
- Sonny Yau Excellence in Teaching Award (Cornell University) 2005
- NASA Invention Space Act Awards (NASA) 2005
- NASA Invention Space Act Awards (NASA) 2003
- James and Mary Tien Excellence in Teaching Award 2015
- BA (Chemical Engineering), Cambridge University, 1989
- MEng (Chemical Engineering), Cambridge University, 1990
- MSc (Chemical Engineering), University of California, Davis, 1992
- Ph D (Chemical Engineering), University of California, Davis, 1996