To earn the BME PhD degree, a student must fulfill the following requirements:
- Pass the comprehensive Admission to Candidacy examination ("A Exam") with the Special Committee before the beginning of the seventh semester of study
- Successfully complete the course work required by his/her Special Committee
- Conduct original research that will have lasting value, and write a dissertation recording that work
- Pass the final examination ("B exam") defending the dissertation with the Special Committee
- Have a minimum of six academic terms of full-time study
A student is recommended for the Ph.D. degree when his/her Special Committee members agree that the appropriate level of scholarly achievement has been reached and that the Graduate School's requirements have been satisfied.